Trade with us
Many food traders, charities, campaigning organisations and peddlers of the bizarre and unique apply to trade at the Festival each year. Pitches are not allocated on a first come first served basis, we assess each application on its own merit so please give as much information as possible including photographs of your pitch and products.
Please read thoroughly even if you have traded at the Festival before.
What does the Original Shake and Stir Festival look for from applicants?
To apply to trade with us at this years event please email us at Traders@originalshakeandstir.co.uk advising us about what you would like to sell / promote at the event including as much information as possible with links to websites, social media, pinterest, etsy and customer reviews if relevant. We will then send you a relevant Booking Form and Terms and Conditions. Please email this back with all the relevant requested documentation. We will then be incontact advising if your application is successful or not. Payment will not be taken for the event until a pitch has been allocated to you.
Is there anything I am not allowed to sell?
What if I don’t need a pitch, can I just walk about and sell my goods?
All approved traders must have a static pitch from which to trade. Mobile/roaming traders and fly-pitchers are strictly prohibited. Anyone found to be selling products without the authorisation of the Traders Manager will have their items confiscated and may be evicted from site.
How do I apply for a stall on behalf of a charity/campaigning organisation?
We have a specific area for campaign and charity stalls. To apply, please complete the relevant traders application form giving as much information about what you do and what you would bring to the Festival including photos/sketches. There is no electricity in this area and generators are not allowed, if you need power to your stall, you could look into solar power as a green alternative. Also, no vehicles are allowed to park within an allocated pitch in this area unless they are an integral part of the stall (for example you trade from a boat or a fire engine) If your application is successful, you will be allocated a short stay pass to allow you to drop your equipment/stock to your stall and then park your vehicle off site.
Are there minimum trading days/hours?
All successful traders will be advised of the earliest time they may arrive on site. Once set up traders can begin trading as soon as they have been given the go ahead by their Traders Manager and, where applicable, the other relevant teams (Food Safety, Gas etc). Trading hours will be between Saturday: 11-6pm and Sunday: 11-4pm and it is not a minimum of 7 hours each day. This is also subject to crowd volumes as safety to the public is paramount.
What documentation do I need to trade at The Original Shake and Stir Festival?
Whether you come to site as a food trader, caterer, non-food trader, charity or campaigner, you are operating as a legitimate business and as such must comply with current legislation. Regardless of whether or not you are selling a product or service to the public, you will need to bring certain documentation to site which must be available for inspection at all times in case of need. To include, but not exclusively:-
- Health & Safety Documentation (Policies, Risk Assessments including Fire Risk Assessment, Training Records etc.)
- PAT Test Certification
- Gas Safety Certificates (where applicable)
- Written Scheme of Examination for all pressurized Systems (including coffee machines)
- Food Safety Management System (SFBB, NCASS, COOKSAFE or similar)
- Food Hygiene Training Certificate (food handlers only)
- Written allergen information on all unpackaged foods
The Bournemouth Council Food Safety Team will be attending the event and completing checks on all Hot food traders & Producers. If you are not adhering to all relevant food safety and hygiene regulations you will not be able to trade at the event.
What should I bear in mind before submitting my application?
- Use of the event logo, name and/or images on any goods or promotional material is prohibited. This also applies to websites and social media.
- Traders must provide their own fire retardant gazebo, table & chairs. All gazebos must be set-up correctly, be robust and fit for commercial use. Ground conditions can become very wet; you must ensure you are prepared by considering a raised floor within your stall (particularly food traders) and that your stall is sturdy enough to sustain strong wind and heavy rain throughout the Festival. You and your staff need to be prepared for all weather conditions.
- All food packaging must be made from either wood, paper/ cardboard or leaves and this includes straws.
- Fish, charcoal and wood must be from a certified sustainable source.
- The collection of cash or data on behalf of charities/campaigning organisations is prohibited without prior permission from the Main Traders Office. This includes a collection box on the front of your stall.
- Sub-contracting, sub-letting or the sharing of a stall or any part of a stall is strictly forbidden. We expect the Trader applying to be the Trader running and managing the stall on site.
- Traders successful in their application must only sell approved goods at prices specified in their application and agreed with the Main Traders Office. The festival reserves the right to restrict your product list.
Hundreds of Deaf and disabled customers, artists and crew are on site every year. Click here to download a PDF of Access Guidelines for Traders.
How do I apply for a trading pitch?
When will I find out if I have been successful in my application?
We will contact you within 4 weeks of submitting your application to confirm whether you have been accepted.
If I am successful, what happens next?
Successful applicants will be emailed an offer to trade giving them lots of information including full details of the pitch location and size we are offering. If you wish to accept our offer, you will need to agree to the Traders Terms and Conditions and complete a survey to allow us to begin our 2018 Sustainability Audit. The offer will also contain information about the ordering of power (if required).
We recognise the efforts made by traders, in 2018 we will introduce the Original Shake and Stir Festival Trader Awards incorporating the Sustainable Green Trader Awards. There are four categories:
- Sustainable Food Trader Award – Prize of free pitch for the next Festival
- Sustainable Non- Food Trader Award – Prize of free pitch for the next Festival
- Best Dressed Stall – Half price stall for next Festival
- People’s Choice – Voting takes place via Twitter. Recognition as the best food onsite, what an opportunity!!!
Due to the high number of visitors it is beneficial to have some experience of working at other Festivals, particularly for food traders. Feedback from other traders tells us previous experience is invaluable especially when planning stock levels and staffing.
When completing your application, please ensure stall and pitch sizes are accurate. We need to know precisely what space you require rather than just a guess, we use the information you give us to plan our trading areas and are unable to make changes once space has been allocated. We request four measurements from you – stall width and depth and pitch width and depth. Stall sizes must include your trading structure and any additional kitchen/preparation area you may have. The pitch sizes need to include your stall as well as an exact width for guy ropes/tow hooks and in terms of depth and spa, space for any essential onsite vehicles, trailers, caravans, campervans. Please remember space is at a premium and onsite vehicles and caravans will be limited. We will be asking successful applicants to draw their pitch including their stall, onsite vehicles and camping.